15 May 2011

Teriyaki Chicken

One  of my fond food memories was when my mom would take us to a Korean restaurant and I would always order the same thing, a Shirley Temple and a teriyaki chicken, my favourite.  It came out on this wonderful hot plate, sizzling in its sauce.  There are so many different teriyaki recipes, but here is one that caught my fancy.
Ingredients:
-1 kg of chicken thighs, wings or drumsticks
-1/2 cup soy sauce
-1/2 cup water
-2 tablespoons mirin
-2 tablespoons honey
-4 tablespoons sugar
-2 tablespoons corn starch
-1 tablespoon sesame oil
-2 garlic cloves, minced finely
-sesame seeds

Instructions:
-Combine and mix the sauce: soy sauce, mirin, honey, water, cornstarch, sesame oil, minced garlic and sugar.
-Soak the chicken in the sauce for 30 minutes.
-Place chicken and sauce in a large pot over medium heat.  Let it simmer for about 30 minutes.  Be sure to stir often, as sauce will thicken quickly.
-Sprinkle sesame seeds over chicken before serving.

No comments: